Temporomandibular Dysfunction (TMD) is characterized by pain in the masticatory muscles of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This disorder affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
TMJ Dysfunction is characterized by pain in localized hypersensitive spots in palpable muscle fibers (myofascial trigger points). These trigger points may result from muscle overload from trauma or repetitive activities. Acupuncture can target the root cause of the condition by helping to reset the neuromuscular tension in the jaw and relieve muscle spasms, decrease pain and swelling and release the jaw naturally for the joint to move freely.
Some of the conditions we see in the clinic
- Stimulates the release of endorphins and neurotransmitters (helps dampen and block the pain response)
- Relieve head and facial pain and discomfort
- Help minimize TMJ “clicking” by relaxing the lateral pterygoid muscles
- Help relieve stress and other possible contributing factors to TMJ disorder
- Help muscle relaxation and reduce muscle spasms
- Reduce and prevent the frequency of tension headaches and migraine
- Reduce restricted movement of the jaw, muscle stiffness, and weakness
- Soft tissue mobility issues